Monday, July 6, 2009

My New Favorite Super Food

First, I want to report that I am totally addicted to yet another flavor of Coconut Bliss-Cherry Amaretto. Like the other flavors, it is rich and creamy and smooth...and so yummy! With it's subtle cherry flavor and a hint of almond extract, it is very refreshing.

Now I want to chat about my favorite new super food-Chia seeds. If you do a search on the Internet, you will no doubt find Dr. Oz and other famous professionals raving about these tiny, yet powerful little wonders. Chia seeds come from the Sage plant, and they are considered a whole food, packed with a whole lot of good-for-you stuff. If you were to add just one new thing to your diet right now, they would be at the top of my listed recommendations.

My family and I have been eating a nutrient-rich form of these seeds called Salba. Salba grain is high in Omega-3, Omega-6, Omega-9, protein, fiber, calcium, iron, and protein. It also contains a variety of antioxidants. The seeds are easy on the palate and can be incorporated into any meal you prepare. I sprinkle a little on my daughter's oatmeal in the morning, or add them to salads. Sometimes I put a spoonfull in a glass of water and just drink them.

If you have done any research on Omega-3 essential fatty acids, you know how important they are for healthy brain develoment and function, heart function, and other health benefits. If you have children, you have probably heard your pediatrician recommend supplementing Omega-3's and Calcium. Knowing that we don't give our daughter milk, our doctor always reminds us about Calcium-rich foods. It is nearly impossible to get kids (of all ages) to eat the type, and quantity of food necessary to get the recommended amount of essential nutrients. Salba is super high in essential fatty acids and contains six times more Calcium than whole milk! My little one loves to sprinkle the Salba seeds and stir them into her food. And for those really picky eaters, these small seeds might go unnoticed if hidden in yogurt or added to a smoothie.

I feel so great about the simple little act of adding a tiny ingredient to some of our favorite foods. Just one tablespoon of Salba a day, and I am making a major impact on my family's health. So simple. So run to your local health-food store and buy some already!

No comments:

Post a Comment