Friday, August 28, 2009

The Great Summer Cook-Out

With Labor Day right around the corner, you may have one last chance for a summer BBQ. Of course, since we live in beautiful Hawaii (sorry to rub it in), we cook out all throughout the year. Here are a few tips for healthy grillin'.

If you're grilling up burgers, choose grass-fed beef. What is the difference between grass-fed and corn-fed? Well, put a cow out in the pasture and what does it eat? Grass. Due to a very high number of cattle being raised for food, ranchers began feeding cows corn to try to reduce damage to the land from overgrazing. Well, cows don't digest corn so the result is fattier beef, higher in cholesterol and saturated fats, which as you know, are linked to coronary heart disease. A better solution for the industry might be to raise fewer, healthier cattle....but that is another discussion. I like to feature local Hawaii companies when I can, so if you are here in Hawaii, try Northshore Cattle Company. One serving of grass fed beef has about the same Omega-3 essential fatty acids as a serving of fish. That is great news for burger lovers!

A cook-out just isn't the same without a Dawg! Hotdogs are the all-American food. I get nostalgic when I eat them-they bring back lots of childhood memories. I have tried many healthier versions of the hotdog. Whether turkey or chicken or beef, I always ended up a little disappointed...until I found Applegate Farms' all-natural, organic, nitrate-free, grass-fed beef hotdog. Reminiscent of the classic hotdog of my youth, this one of the yummiest and healthiest dogs around. AND they are the only ones that don't leave me regretting that I chose to eat a hot dog...if you know what I mean.

If you're serving one up for me, don't hold the pickles. I was craving pickles a while back as I shopped at Whole Foods and came across a brand I hadn't heard of before-Bubbies. They are excellent! Bubbies are crunchy, kosher, delicious pickles that have a little spicy kick. And they have something other pickles don't-live, active cultures. A pickle that is yummy and good for you too?

Last, but not least are the sauces. I'm a sauce kind of girl. I like to load my goodies with ketchup, mayo, and mustard. There are some great, healthier choices at health food stores. I choose Organic Ville ketchup because it's organic and it's sweetened with agave syrup instead of high-fructose corn syrup. I also recommend Westbrae Naturals mustard, Miso Mayo, and Vegennaise (instead of mayo).

Quick tip: When you're cookin' on the grill, be sure the grill has been cleaned thoroughly from the last time you BBQ'd and avoid charring your food because it can create carcinogens.

Here's to fun, healthy grillin'!

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to check my local health food store for those hot dogs. So far the only ones I have found are tofu and my kids don't care for them much. Maybe I need to move to Hawaii :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great post - my little one hasn't yet eaten a hot dog because it's so bad. Now, I can try to find this particular product - thanks.....hot dogs are American....they should be healthy too! :-)

    ReplyDelete